1. Heat a dry frying pan over a low heat and once its hot add your coriander seeds and cumin seeds, toast for about 1-2 minutes, don’t let the cumin seeds burn!!!. Pour into a motor and pestle.
2. In to the motor and pestle add the garlic, ginger, chili powder, turmeric along with the roasted spices and pound to a smooth paste using 1-2 tbsps water. you can use an electric grinder for this.
3. In a pot, heat some oil about 2-3 tbsp, add the onions and saute’ till translucent. Stir in curry leaves and pandan leaf.
4. Add the spice paste and stir-fry in the onion mixture for about 1-2 minutes to release the flavors. Add a little water to prevent it from burning.
5. Carefully add the tuna cubes along with the chilies if using. Pour the required amount of water( you and the tamarind. Bring to a boil then simmer, covered for about 8-10 minutes till the fish is cooked through.
6. Stir in coconut milk, cook 1 minute, taste, add salt to taste and switch off heat. If you find it too spicy add a little sugar.
Serve with roti or chappati or any other flatbread or plain cooked rice with a nice salad on the side. Enjoy!