Honduras, for thousands of years the Mayans created a briljant civilization, while the Roman Empire crumbled into little pieces the Mayans were only just reaching their peak. They probably were the most sophisticated civilization of the America’s in many aspects.
Their remarkable advancement in science and astronomy was completely revolutionary for their time. In the meanwhile Europe was entering their Middle Ages. Copan a city in Honduras was one of the main centers of the Mayans.
Things you didn’t know about Honduras:
- “Come back tomorrow/next week/next month” doesn’t really mean that.
It means, “I don’t know”, “I don’t feel like doing that today”, “I don’t know who to ask but it definitely isn’t me” or “I’m eating lunch right now
- Christopher Columbus discovered Honduras. And when he set foot on ground his first words were: “Thank God we got out these great depths!” Honduras’ literal meaning is: Great Depths.
- It’s completely normal to find blonde haired, blue eyed Hondurans on the bay islands. They are direct descendents of the British Pirates that came here over 500 years ago
- Hondurans are called Catrachos/Catrachas in Central America and within their own country. It is not a negative nickname.
- 2 cups of rice
- 6 cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Soak the rice overnight in 3 cups of the water. Add the rice, soaking water and cinnamon to a blender and puree until smooth, 2 or 3 minutes.
- Strain into a pitcher through a fine-mesh sieve or several layers of cheesecloth. There should be no grit or large particles in the liquid.
- Stir in the remaining 3 cups water, sugar and vanilla. Adjust sugar to taste and serve well chilled.
First of all it was not easy to find information about Burkina Faso. The name Burkina Faso means land of the honest men. Originally it was named Upper Volta, but in 1983 Capt Thomas Sankara seized power and renamed the country Burkina Faso. The country has been plagued by misery and revolution. Ouagadougou or Ouaga is the capital, it lacks standout sights and its architecture doesn’t have much to turn your head, but it thrives as an eclectic arts hub, with dance and concert venues, live bands, theatre companies, a busy festival schedule and beautiful handicrafts. Although Burkina Faso is one of the poorest countries in the world, it can still provide enough food, a few years ago The campaign of Broederlijk Delen 2007 focused on Burkina Faso. In the campaign movie Dutch onions and potatoes sold on the local market. However, that is not support, but rather a disruption of the local economy. The local farmers can not sell their onions by the dumping prices of Dutch goods.
Here are some fun facts about Burkina Faso
- Burkina Faso is home to 60 different ethnic groups, each with their own variety of folk music.
- The school week runs from Monday through Saturday. Schooling is in theory free and compulsory until the age of 16. According to UNICEF, only 81% of students reach the 5th grade.
- Disabled and older people live with their families and are fully accepted.
- The Mossi – one of the ethnic groups in Burkina Faso are known for their antelope masks which are over 2m (7ft) high and painted in red or white. The masks are usually worn at funerals and when guarding certain fruits.
The juice i made this week is said to have healing powers, which is great because i have been feeling a little under the weather lately. Ginger is so healthy it’s good for your kidney’s and blader and on top of that it gives a great nice to everything. Ingredients: 4 cups of water, 70g ginger, peeled and washed, 300g pineapple, peeled and washed, 1/3 cup lemon juice, ½ cup of sugar
Add the ginger, pineapple and lemon juice in a food processor. Then add water and mix well until the liquid is home gene. You can also use a mortar and pestle and grind the ginger and pineapple and mix well with the water. Filter the resulting mixture through a sieve to remove the juice. Add the sugar according to your taste. Keep in the refrigerator for 2 hours.