Soo this week I found out that I forgot a country. I was so looking forward to Cuba and Czech Republic that I completely forgot the amazing country of Cyprus! So stupid since I love Mediterranean food!
Cyprus is a complicated place, half Greek and half Turkish but completely part of the European Union. Because of it’s strategic location the history of Cyprus is basically the history between East and West. It’s also an incredibly popular tourist destination. The blue sea, beautiful beaches and rich history attract tons of tourists! And not just the nice kind… amongst Cyprus is know as a party destination. Which means weird people who just came for the cheap booze and hot girls in bikini. Tragic…
There are lots of ancient Greek myths about Cyprus supposedly Aphrodite (Greek goddess of love) was born there.
- Mount Olympus, which is notable in Greek mythology as being the home of the gods, is the tallest mountain in the Troodos range.
- Cyprus was once the wealthiest nation in the known world. It was during the Copper and Bronze Ages when the island’s rich natural copper resources were exported to other countries.
- Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus, is now the only capital in the world to be divided between two nations – North Cyprus & South Cyprus.
- One of the world’s most famous shipwrecks lies off the Cypriot coast near Limassol Harbour. The Zenobia, with its cargo of vehicles, sunk in 1980.
I had never tried haloumi cheese but now I am hooked my friends! It has the texture of mozzarella but it tastes like goat cheese, oh come on! This pimps up every salad you make!
- about 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 bulb of halloumi cheese
- olive oil
- Half the cherry tomatoes, slice the cucumber and slice the halloumi cheese.
- Dip the halloumi cheese in olive oil and then fry it in a pan. They are ready when they are a little golden on the outside. Don’t worry it doesn’t melt!
- Grab a few mint leaves and put everything in a salad bowl. Sprinkle with a little olive oil and your done!