Montenegro is located in the southeastern European region known as the Balkans right along the Adriatic Sea. It is the least populated Balkan nation. The name Montenegro means “black mountain” in Venetian Italian. Although its name is derived from Italian, Montenegro is a Slavic nation and not Latin. That’s why they call their own country Crna Gora, which means “black forest”. It probably won’t surprise you that Montenegro has lots of mountains and forests. The best and by far the coolest way to see the 1300 meter high Tara Canyon is rafting, you know the tiny boats on a wild river. Also, don’t forget to make a stop at one of the many many monasteries especially Ostrog Monastery which is built inside a mountain.
Things you didn’t know about Montenegro:
- Montenegro’s Lake Skadar is one of the biggest bird reserves in Europe. It’s home to over 270 bird species and is a vitally important stop for migrating birds. Among the most popular on the lake are the Dalmatian Pelicans.
- They have a lazy Olympics in the town of Brezna. You can win about €400 for just being the one that lays down and does nothing for the longest.
- Montenegrins are known to be very relaxed. In that effort, they have their own set of commandments to live by. Among them are: “Love thy bed as you love thyself”; “If you see someone resting, help him”; and “If you have the urge to work, sit down, wait and you’ll see it will pass.”
- His Imperial and Royal Highness Stefan Cernetic, Hereditary Prince of Montenegro, Serbia and Albania has been attending gala dinners, giving out Orders (for a fee) and hobnobbing with celebrities and aristocrats for years.Montenegro hasn’t had a royal family since 1918. But that didn’t stop Mr Cernetic from conferring Pamela Anderson the title of Countess of Giglio in a ceremony, in which she knelt before him and thanked him for his generosity, in 2015.
- Montenegro is one of the founding members of the Red Cross
I love this rice dish. It is a popular meditarian dish and one of my favourites! The ink doesn’t only add color but also a rich flavor!
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (sliced)
- 1 1/2 cup risotto rice
- 1 cup of white wine (please don’t use cooking wine! it is disgusting! use wine that you would actually drink during your meal, trust me it is worth the money to invest in this! I am not saying you should pull open your most expensive bottle! a leftover of the day before is perfect. Just don’t buy the cheap crap sold as “cooking wine”)
- 4 cups of veggie stock
- 4 large cuttlefish (sliced in rings)
- 2 tablespoons of cuttlefish ink
- chopped cilantro
- chopped parsley
- 1 lemon
- Start by gently frying the onion in the butte until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic, keep your fire on low (nobody likes burned the garlic)
- Add the rice and poor in the cup of white wine. Keep stirring until the rice has absorbed all the wine.
- Poor in the 1st cup of stock and again stir until the rice absorbed the stock.
- Put in the 2nd cup of stock and repeat.
- Taste your rice, it should start to soften a little.
- Stir in the squid ink and keep adding the left over cups of stock as previously mentioned. You should be ready in 15 minutes now.
- Fry your gamba’s and season with salt en pepper
- Add your calamari to your rice and stir through.
- Taste your rice and adjust the season if necessary
- Garnish your rice with lemon, parsley, cilantro and the gamba’s.