Mauritania is located in the West African region. both a desert spring and coastal haven. Much of the country is left to its natural state, undisturbed by urban infrastructure. Mauritania has one of Africa’s grandest scenery. If you go to Mauritania as a tourist, keep in mind that a holiday here doesn’t mean big, fancy all inclusive resorts and touring busses ; it means enjoying what Mauritania was naturally blessed with. One of the sites to visit would be Parc National du Banc D’Arguin where millions of migratory birds winter along the coast.
Things you didn’t know about Mauritania:
- It is not acceptable to eat with or in the presence of one’s in-laws, and eating with the left hand is forbidden.
- People are expected to slaughter an animal according to the number of wives and the wealth of the husband. At the end of Ramadan and at the sacrificial feast that ends the annual pilgrimage to Mecca, a married man is expected to offer a lamb. The meat must be eaten up within three days or it is thrown away. It is customary to offer an animal in connection with name-giving, initiation, marriage, and funeral ceremonies and when people return from Mecca or other important places. Only circumcised adult men are allowed to slaughter animals.It is not acceptable to eat with or in the presence of one’s in-laws, and eating with the left hand is forbidden.
- Mauritania is one of the top 10 least visited countries in the world.
- The capitals name Nouakchott means “place of winds“
- Mauritania has the largest ship graveyard in the world left abandoned by various outsiders that bribed the local officials and nowadays over 300 of them are stranded at the beaches
This avocado pudding is surprisingly light and delicious. It is not overly sweet which i like! I think you can even eat for breakfast on the weekends, instead of an avocado toast :P.
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- tiny pinch of salt
- teaspoon of vanilla extract
- cocoa powder to finish on top
- 3 tablespoons of ground almonds
- Peel the avocados and remove pits.
- Chop avocado; add to a blender.
- Process until avocado is smooth.
- Add milk, sugar, vanilla extract, salt and ground almonds.
- If the mixture appears too thin, add more ground almonds to the desired consistency.
- Divide pudding between six dessert glasses.
- Chill for about one hour before serving.
- Sprinkle over some cocoa powder