Welcome letter E! The continents of Asia and Oceania are the home of thousands of some of the most amazing species on earth. Here between these two continents there is an island where this couldn’t be more evident ‘East Timor’. Living it’s first few ages of independence this small territory is located on the far east of southern Asia between Indonesia and Australia, it is the home of an ancient civilization. They are descendents from Malaysian, Polynesian and Papuan people. They have strong believes that everything is connected to the nature in some way. The land changes from high tropical forests to savannah or to the incredible pristine beaches on the coast.
Things you didn’t know about East Timor:
- Over 16 different languages and more than 30 dialects are spoken in East Timor, a lot of them have a strong Portuguese influence.
- There is a legend among people from East Timor that only a man with a bad soul will get eaten or bitten by a crocodile. This why most people aren’t terrified of crocodiles.
- There are a least 9 bird (probably more) species that are exclusive to the island.
- There are places in the mountains where scientists have never been. And it is almost certain that when scientists start researching there new species will be found.
- During the ice age the islands stayed separated from the Asian continent, so there were nog big animals like tigers or elephants. Only the ones man brought for farming can be found on the island.
This is so good the sweet and sourness of the tamarind is really good!