50 countries, wow that’s a huge mile stone for me! And since Cuba has been in the news recently, I am very glad to just now cook a recipe from Cuba. When they hear Cuba most people think: cigars, classic cars, Ché Gueverra and Fidel Castro. The past 50 years the Cubans had to be very patient but finally there seems to be coming an end, to some of their problems, since President Obama shook hands with Raul Castro last week. They had to pretty inventive in the last decades for instance: The old cars that are so typical for Cuba they are not just a touristy thing. There are no other cars in Cuba, those old things are their actual vehicles to get from A to B. Imagine the car trouble they must have had?! How many reparations those cars must have had!
Here are some things you didn’t know about Cuba:
- Government vehicles in Cuba are legally required to pick up any hitchhikers.
- Cuba has one of the highest literacy rates in the world: 99,8 % (education is free, so no excuse not to learn how to read!)
- Only 2 countries in the world that are not allowed to sell Coca Cola officially: North Korea and Cuba.
- President Kennedy bought 1200 cuban cigars just hours before signing the embargo against Cuba.
- Coke and Rum is called a ‘Cuba Libre’ (Free Cuba) almost everywhere in the world except Cuba there it’s called ‘Little Lie’.
- When Fidel Castro seized power in Cuba he ordered all game sets of monopoly to destroyed.
So because I really really really wanted to make 2 cuban recipes. This weekend I will make a Roja Viejo but I couldn’t wait to make this one, since I’ve heard and read so much about it! And I know a Cubano Sandwich isn’t actually Cuban but a lot of people think it is. Although the Mojo Pork is Cuban! This is a damn good sandwich! And it takes a while to make it with marinating the meat but it’s so worth it. My dad said: You could probably make a fortune by opening a sandwichbar and just selling these!
Ingredients for the pork mojo: 160 ml of extra virgin olive oil, the zest of one orange, the juice of an orange, the juice of a lime, 7 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed, a bunch of fresh cilantro, a handful of chopped fresh mint, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, freshly ground pepper, 1 piece of a kilo of pork (I used pork loin)
Ingredients for the sandwiches: 250 g slices of leg ham cut knife, 12 thin slices of pork Mojo, 100 g of melted butter, for brushing, two baguettes or large loaves of bread each cut the in 3 parts, 12 slices of Swiss cheese emmental or gruyere, 12 dill pickles (the bigger the better), yellow mustard (the best to use is burgers mustard but you should not use Dijon or ancient mustard)
1. In a large bowl, whisk the oil, orange zest, juice of Orange, lemon juice, garlic, coriander, mint, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper.
2. Pour this mixture in a large frozen plastic bag. Place the piece of meat inside and make a knot to the bag. Let marinate in the refrigerator between 12 and 24 hours turning it upside down occasionally…
3. After this time, remove the meat from the bag and place it on a baking pan with the fat side up. Bake at 180 ° for one hour or until the meat does not show pink juice when pinched.
4 Remove from oven and cover with foil. Let stand 30 minutes before cutting.
5 Once past this half an hour, cut the meat into thin slices. Put side.
6 Turn on the grill or sandwich maker and heat it up.
7. On a hot griddle or large skillet, cook to golden both sides of the pork mojo slices and then the ham slices. Put them aside
8.Slice the dill pickles. The larger they are the better.
9 Brush both cut sides of bread with yellow mustard. Layer bottom of bread with two steaks and cover with the ham.
10 Put the pickles over the ham and cover with two slices of cheese.
11 Cover with the top cut of the bread and using a kitchen brush, paint well with melted butter all sides of the sandwich.
12 Put the sandwich on the grill and let it heat well until the bread is crispy on the outside. Enjoy!