While I was doing my research for Angola, I was so amazed at what came up. Why is this beautiful country not a major tourist destination. Personally I have never been to Angola but from what I read and saw I believe that Angola might be a hidden jem in the heart of Africa. So now Angola is at the top my list of countries that I want to visit. The food is amazing, the music is swinging, the weather is hot, the beaches are amazing, the waves are ideal for surfing and the nature is stunning. So I ask you WHY is this place not swarming with tourists yet! After looking for a while I found out that there was a really long and hard civil war in Angola from 1975 until 2002. Now the country is slowly trying to recover, from a very cruel long war where a lot of people lost their lives. But the purpose of my blog is trying to find positive thing about countries, and Angola has so many!
- The giant sable antilope was thought to be extinct until a few years they were rediscovered in Angola
- One of Africa’s most beautiful natural wonders, the Ruacana Falls, is located in Angola.
- Luanda is known as the ” Paris of Africa” – This is apparently due to the city’s sophisticated culture and atmosphere
Serve with rice.
Next week is Anguilla, my first caribbean island!
Algeria located in the north of Africa, the 10th largest country in the world. Yet only 10% is inhabited. The other 90% is covered by the Sahara desert, the largest desert in the world. To me the Sahara desert brings up a lot of romantic thoughts about nomads who live in the desert in small groups and travel from oasis to oasis on camels. For me it’s very hard to imagin not to have water from the tap or the take a shower whenever it pleases, but ofcourse I am aware that clean tapwater is a luxury a lot of people around the world can’t afford or in very limited ways. Like in most African countries I would not advise drinking tapwater because you will regret it the next day on the toillet. Here are a few facts about Algeria:
- Women make up 60% of Algeria’s judges, 70% of the lawyers, and 60% of the student population. What’s more, they have a bigger household income contribution than men. (GIRLPOWER!!!!)
- Alcoholic drinks are rarely found in Algeria because of Islamitic orientation, they are seldom found in foodestablishments, and even if they are available they are not listed on the menu.
- Only 12% of Algeria is inhabited because over 90% is covered by the Sahara desert.
- Petroleum and gas make up 98% of Algeria’s export.
Ingredients: 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 large red onion, 3 garlic cloves, 300g whole tomatoes (tinned), 1 tsp paprika, pinch of saffron, salt and black pepper to taste, 2 large potatoes, cubed,3 celery sticks, diced, 2l chicken stock, 900g firm white fish cut into steaks
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onion until translucent. Add the garlic and tomatoes and continue to simmer until most of the liquid is gone. Add the spices, potatoes, and broth, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.Add the fish and continue to cook until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Allow the soup to cool a little, purée in a blender then return to the pan and simmer for a further 10 minutes to heat thoroughly. Serve in soup bowls garnished with chopped coriander.