Day: April 6, 2016
The world’s biggest non continental island with the world’s smallest population. Which place can it be? Greenland of course! Greenland is not a cheap destination, but few places combine such magnificent scenery, such clarity of light and such raw power of nature. With few roads to be found under the snow you only transportation options are helicopter, dogsled, ski, snow scooter, or boat.
Which makes it very expensive, unless you want to travel by foot, but it’s not recommended! The Greenlanders are a blend of the people of the traditional Inuit population and Danish blood. Greenland. Greenland is actually a part of Denmark, but you probably knew that already 😉
Thing you didn’t know about Greenland:
- It’s called Greenland because the Viking, Erik the Red, desired to colonize it and lure people from Europe to the island. He was a liar… It’s not green. (Imagine the disappointment!!)
- The ice sheet covering 2/3 of the island is over 2 km thick.
- The suicide rate is very high, and Greenlanders have a problem with alcohol consumption as well.
- According to the legend, Qivitoqs are half-dead half-alive as strong as animals who roam the land at night. Sounds creepy doesn’t it? Kind of like zombies?
- There are few land mammals in Greenland: polar bear, reindeer, arctic fox, wolf, arctic hare, musk ox and stoat and all in all around 500 plant species.
Looking for a perfect weeknight meal with fish. then this is amazing. it’s quick, easy and delicious!